Thursday, June 8, 2017

It's not you...it's me.

One of my professional overdevelopment opportunities said I should blog.

An acquaintance once commented about a popular religious blogger "*** has the worst attribute that a blogger can have.  He is not insightful or original.  Instead he drones on in a judgmental; and superficial manner.  Sigh!"  

I replied, "I thought that was a defining feature of the blogging genre..."

That's what I discovered after my initial enthusiastic foray into the blogging culture.  I loved the variety of bloggers, the bravery of putting themselves out there, and the authenticity of sweary moms who drink wine, compulsive cooks, people living their final days, and middleagers who have no more f**** to give.  There were also the cheerful and enthusiastically obsessed classroom designers, inspiring old souls, and Mike Rowe.  Mr. Rowe is the only one I still look forward to reading.

I've always been reflective.  I get high scores on reflective practice in class and on my teacher evals.  I can spend hours reflecting.  I'm typically reflecting even before I'm done doing.  What I'm bad about is using reflection to affect change.  I change things up often, but it's more intuitive and lacking support of the data I've stored in my brain just behind my to-do list, the long-term plans, and stuff I've remembered I've forgotten and have to remember again tomorrow.  

I've been telling myself for 10 years I need to journal for the purpose of documenting the data... I hate journaling, especially if it requires pen and paper.  And it seems too easy to be vague and disengaged with the audience of just me.  I get bored with myself easily.  

So the suggestion to blog seems reluctantly appropriate.  The audience aspect gives me some accountability to be thoughtful and organized.  The INFJ, introverted, conceptual learner me sort of likes the challenge of writing for others, but I'm not looking for feedback.  I'm not looking to inspire.  I'm not trying to be unique, deep, or nonjudgmental.  It's not really for you, it's all about me.  But I do hope that if you come across this self-indulgent blog/reflection, you're able to see the magic I'm about to share...hang with it - it gets better.